Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I had a good workout last night. I managed to stay at a 15 incline for 40 minutes! Well, actually, I did 30 minutes, then dropped to a 10 incline for 5 minutes, and went back up to 15. I was really happy. I walked exactly 2 miles. I'm not going for a land speed record, that's for sure, but I would like to work up to a faster pace. The first 20 minutes went pretty well before I started to get tired, and the rest went good.

I've noticed a big difference in how long it takes me to start feeling tired. I've also seen a change in how I feel when I'm done. When I first started all this working out stuff I felt awful after I was done working out. I was exhausted and cranky, I felt like crap to be honest. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I'd always heard about the whole 'endorphin' rush and it was evidently rushing right past me because I wasn't feeling it.

Now I find that when I get done with a workout I'm tired and sweaty but I feel good. Really good. My head is clear, my blood is pumping, my body feels loose. And the mood lasts awhile. I'm starting to see why people make the effort to get up early and work out in the mornings before doing anything else.

I, however, will not be attempting that one just yet (if ever).

I got some new workout clothes. I did it on a whim, thinking it was about time I stopped wearing gigantic baggy T-shirts, but now that I've been wearing them I find they make me feel better too. Weird, I wasn't expecting that of clothes. I'll admit to being a little uncomfortable in the shirts, they are very form fitting. You wouldn't think that would bother a person, but then my Mom always told me I never liked shirts that actually fit me.

I worry about how I look in the new gym shirts, of course. It really shouldn't matter, it's the gym not a date, and yet I don't want to look like a fat girl in skinny girl clothes (which sounds awful, I know). I would love to just feel comfortable in my own clothes for a change.

In my own skin, for that matter.

But I am happy to say that I feel better about myself today than I did 2 1/2 months ago when I started this gym stuff. I am starting to see the progress I've been making. My body feels different. Stronger. My moods have gotten better, as have the migraines. My energy level is higher, though if I'd get to bed earlier I'm sure it would be even better. I feel more alive and more like myself than I have in a really long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment